"FM" == Frank McCown writes:

 DV> URL ../directory/file.html placed in
 DV> http://some-host.com/index.html is illegal because no parent
 DV> directory for /index.html exists.

 >> it is "legal". it works everywhere else. that's why i ask to
 >> normalize the URL properly.

 FM> The URL is "legal" if the web server doesn't complain (I'm
 FM> betting its IIS?) and returns /directory/file.html properly,

E.g., Apache 2.0 does complain on requests like
"GET /../dir/file.html HTTP/1.0" with "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request"
so wget will not work properly at all.

 FM> but it's still not technically proper to try to access a file
 FM> above the root web directory.

Indeed. All browsers do not even try to go "beyond root".
Wget should be fixed, too.

 FM> I addressed this "bug" in wget few months ago.  See the fix here:

 FM> http://www.mail-archive.com/wget@sunsite.dk/msg08516.html

Thanks. I hope that wget developers will issue a new release soon,
with this fix.

Best,
v.