Ian Hickson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Martin McEvoy wrote:
It basically says that the whole premise that HTML5 should drop *rev* (a) because authors use it wrong, (b) Many authors use rev-stylesheet wrong, is a MYTH and an inaccurate assessment of the *rev* attribute

As others have noted, the data does in fact show that rev="" is rarely used for anything other than rev=made, and is, with the exception of rev=made, usually used incorrectly when used at all.

The idea of removing it is to make validators more able to report these mistakes, thus helping authors write better HTML.
OK then...
Despite your claims to the contrary, given the way that the "rel" attribute and the related keywords are defined, rel=author does in fact convey the semantics that rev=made did.
No It doesn't Reverse and Inverse properties are key factors of any Semantics without both @rev and @rel there is hardly any semantics at all just a one way stream of information, which most of the time you have to guess what the Authors intentions were.

rel=author on the whole only relates to published documents, rel=made relates to Documents, Music, Photos, Videos, Sunday Lunch! Literaly anything that can be *made*
Removing "rev" doesn't affect previous pages, as they continue to be valid HTML4 if they were valid HTML4 before, and UAs can continue to support those semantics for as long as they want to support those pages.
I cant see anyone abandoning HTML4 soon at least not in my lifetime....but you never know....
Furthermore, since the definition of "rel" in HTML5 allows relationships in either direction to be defined, there is no need anymore for a separate rev="" attribute.
So essentially @rel in html5 is breaking the semantics of @rel just because it cant deal with @rev?