Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis ha scritto:
Calogero Alex Baldacchino wrote:

I know, and agree with the basic reasons; however I think that deriving an SGML version (i.e. by adding new entities and elements, as needed, to an html 4 dtd) should not be very difficoult, and could be worth the effort (i.e. to graceful degrade the presentation of a menu element thought as a context menu, wich content should not be shown untill a right click happens - if the u.a. cannot handle it, not showing it at all could be a reasonable behaviour). The derived sgml version should be aimed just for older browsers, while "newer", html 5-aware ones should just ignore any dtd reference. I'd consider this chance, at least on the fly - I suspect that the complete break out with the earlier sgml specifications might carry in an undesireable side-effect: from one side it solves the problems arised from sgml partial support/bad implementation and from browser-specific quirks, but from the other side no mechanism is provided to make sgml-somehow-based user agents to gain whatever awareness on the newly defined elements.

What "SGML-somehow-based user agents"? While many web browsers switch behavior based on what they detect in the first characters of an HTML document (including the doctype declaration), there are no (or at any rate, no remotely /popular/ web browsers) that read text/html DTDs in the way required for this idea to be workable.

Since all you're proposing is to bake implied STYLE values into the DTD, it seems to me your use-case could be served by making an HTML5 "foundation" stylesheet publicly available.

Compare:

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/05/01/reset-reloaded/

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/base/

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Oh, I thought (and hoped) a somewhat basic support were provided... I understand I was wrong...

The "foundation" style sheet may be at least a partial solution, but if the browser is not aware of an element, I guess its style could not apply at all. Anyway, a standard default style sheet could be desireable both to have a standard basic layout on all browsers (as far as possible, because of possible differences in CSS compliance) and as a potential aid for assistive UAs, since the default sheet could cover a few basic aureal properties.
Regards,
Alex

Sponsor:
A fine mese devi affrontare molte spese? Intesa Sanpaolo ti parla di Check-up
finanziario. Prenotalo qui senza impegno
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8436&d=26-11