On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:22:40 +0100, Shelley Powers <shell...@burningbird.net> wrote:
My apologies for not responding sooner to this thread. You see, one of the WhatWG working group members thought it would be fun to add a comment to my Stop Justifying RDF and RDFa web post, which caused the page to break. I am using XHTML at my site, because I want to incorporate inline SVG, in addition to RDFa. An unfortunate consequence of XHTML is its less than forgiving nature regarding playful pranks such as this.

I'm assuming the WhatWG member thought the act was clever. It was, indeed. Three people emailed me to let me know the post was breaking while loading the page in a browser, and I made sure to note that such breakage was courtesy of a WhatWG member, who decided that perhaps I should just shut up, here and at my site, about the Important Work people(?) here are doing.

Of course, the person only highlighted why it is so important that something such as RDFa, and SVG, and MathML, get a home in HTML5. XHTML is hard to support when you're allowing comments and external input. Typically my filters will catch the accidental input of crappy markup, but not the intentional. Not yet. I'm not an exerpt at markup, but I know more than the average person. And the average person most likely doesn't have my commitment, either.

http://annevankesteren.nl/2009/01/xml-sunday shows the commentor (who by the way seems to be on your side in this debate) simply forgot to escape <self-closed /> and then WordPress somehow messed up in an attempt to fix it. I don't think anyone tries to make you "shut up".

(And if we, the evil WHATWG cabal, wanted to break your site, we would've asked Philip` ;-))

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>