On 17/7/09 15:04, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Ian Hickson<i...@hixie.ch>  wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Jeff Walden wrote:
(For the few authors who really want to go crazy, they can already
overlap HTML onto their<video>  and do whatever crazy stuff they want
to do.)
By way of a use case for at least color and positioning, there's a
certain part of the third (?) Austin Powers movie wherein the color and
position of foreign-language subtitles plays an important part in the
artistic merits (lack thereof, arguably) of the scene.  How would you
suggest a movie-viewing site use<video>  to display these?  It seems
unreasonable to say that the site must include special-case handling for
this particular movie clip's subtitles; it's more likely they would be
mangled in some manner and the semantic content (lack thereof) would be
lost.

By the way, I have no idea how foreign-language translations of the
movie handle this scene.  It's possible they simply subtitle the
subtitles and avoid the more complicated problems this scene arguably
presents.
I think this particular case can be a victim of the 80% rule.

I don't remember the exact scene you're referring to, but it's also
possible that those subtitles are then an integral part of the
content, and should properly be baked into the movie.

Yep, slippery slope. If we're not careful we'll end up requiring a 3d file browsing facility, so that Jurassic Park can be properly "represented" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn

cheers,

Dan