I have a component which adds an AjaxHandler in its consturctor:
  add(new AjaxHandler() {
   @Override
   protected void renderHeadContribution(HtmlHeaderContainer container) {
     container.getResponse().write("... _javascript_ to head-section ...");
  });

When the page template has <wicket:head> then this _javascript_ is added twice into head section. Works ok without <wicket:head>.