You have a big problem when a class depends on the behavior of a sub-class during construction time. This is because sub-classes are initialized after the initialization of the base-class. When there is no dependency, there is no problem.

So, although I recognize Gili's point in general, I think Johan is right here: just passing the thing can't be a serious problem.

     Erik.

Johan Compagner wrote:
How is this method any different with our current Component.setParent(), called in Component.add() Then we still don't have the parent (==page) already available in the constructor.

And what does that last part (flexibility lost) have to do with adding a parent in the constructor
You just have to pass that thing through nothing more.

johan