#1 may sound hard, and you might think you're missing out on some good
Wicket abstraction, but it can work seamlessly. Once the objects are
loaded, you shouldn't have to think about their database IDs again. An
IModel implementation can do the grunt work internally:

http://databinder.net/wsvn/Databinder/databinder/trunk/src/main/java/net/databinder/models/HibernateObjectModel.java?op=file

You can even do a save in a base form class's onSubmit. Believe me, if
#1 were the hard way I wouldn't be doing it!

Nathan