> Does this mean that a HTTPSession is created upon a page request?  Basically
> I'm a little worried that if I have an application that has a security in
> front of it (a login page) that a HTTPSession doesn't get created when the
> user hits the login page but rather only when they are sucessfully validated
> via the login page.

It would never be a security concern though, only possibly an
efficiency/ scalability concern. In wicket 1.2, a session is always
created. In Wicket 2.0, a session is created when the first statefull
page (yep, that's the opposite of a stateless page, and the default in
Wicket) is rendered.

> It this assumption correct? and if so is there a way to override this
> functionality, say only create a session if the page being requested is not
> the home page?

Use stateless pages with Wicket 2.0.