This might be of some help and it might not.

I use bi-directional json (but not cometd) in one of the portal apps I wrote
(unfortunately not in Wicket). On the server side, I use json-lib
http://json-lib.sourceforge.net/ and on the client side I use jsonStringify.js,
http://www.thomasfrank.se/json_stringify_revisited.html and jQuery,
http://jquery.com.  The json-lib can actually jsonify a java object quite
nicely, just watch out for extensive object graphs as they can bring the app to
a screeching halt.

Regards,
-scott