On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, glr wrote:
> I have 2 DropDownChoice's on a form. When making a choice in the first, the
> choices in the second are updated using AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior.
> (Just like in the Drop Down Choice Example of the "live action" Wicket
> Examples
> (http://www.wicket-library.com/wicket-examples/ajax?wicket:bookmarkablePage=:wicket.examples.ajax.builtin.ChoicePage)).
>
> Could anyone tell me what the recommended way is to unit-test the above
> case?
>
> I tried using WicketTester with FormTester but I cannot have the model of
> the first DropDownChoice updated as a response to making a selection in it.
> As a result, when the OnEvent handler of the
> AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior fires, it looks as if there was no
> selection in the first DropDownChoice.

These model updates and/or ajax functionality cause a lot of
problems for WicketTester in our experience. I think that
you just need to make your tests more static, e.g. one test
to see that the onEvent handler is called and then another
one where you set the model of the first DropDownChoice
beforehand. Often you have more success in the tests if you
can init the models in the state to test already before
firing up WicketTester.

With SeleniumTestCase of Wicket Bench you can test
individual components with Selenium on Firefox to complement
WicketTester, which is an approach we used with success on
our previous project that was on Java 5 (required by Wicket
Bench). There's practically nothing that you couldn't test
in Wicket like that, our ui code line coverage was well over
90 % in that project.

(It's a pity that WicketTester has so many bugs or
shortcomings; if I ever find the spare moment I'll try to
understand how it works to be able to do better bug reports
on it or even patches. Any help for getting into it is
welcome!)

Best wishes,
Timo

--