I just want to go on record, as someone who's suffered from using a custom
ORM framework using the ActiveRecord pattern, that refactoring gets to be a
huge pain when you mix your domain objects with data access code. Cleanly
separated layers is a good thing.

I suppose the RoR camp would beg to differ...