I don't have a specific reference for you, just some comments. :) I
think perhaps your original claim is too strong--on both counts.
Including the word "can" as you did in your reply is important. Wikis
CAN lead to high-quality content. And CAN lead to active communities.
(Clearly there are examples of active communities and examples of
wikis that never get used much.) I am not convinced that the
technology itself leads to high-quality articles in Wikipedia, and I
don't think that the Nature article supports that claim in any way.
One could hypothesize about characteristics of wiki that help support
the goal of producing high-quality articles and try to empirically
verify the claim, but to my knowledge no one has done so in any
systematic fashion.


On 8/29/07, Desilets, Alain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alain Désilets wrote:
>
> >               I need a good solid reference to substantiate the following 
> > claim:
> >
> >               "Besides leading to high quality content, wikis have been 
> > shown to be good tools
> > for fostering the emergence of active communities"
> >
> >               Does anyone know of a good research paper that looks 
> > specifically at this kind of
> > impact of wikis?
>
> Brian replied:
>
> >       I think the first part of your claim needs to be substantiated first! 
> > Almost all of the
> > content on the English Wikipedia, for example, is of low quality.
> >
> >       
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Version_1.0_Editorial_Team/Index
>
> I already have a solid reference to substantiate the fact that Wikipedia has 
> quality content, i.e. the Nature Magazne study of 2005:
>
> http://www.nature.com/news/2005/051212/full/438900a.html
>
> This study found that the quality of Wikipedia content was comparable to that 
> of Britannica (on a sample of 42 pages in various scientific domains).
>
> The page you quote above does not constitute a scientific assessment of the 
> quality of WikiPedia pages. For one thing, it's not a random sample. These 
> are pages that people on the editorial board selected for review, and it 
> could be that they naturally focused on pages that were a-priori more likely 
> to present quality issues. Second, it does not compare the quality of 
> wikipedia pages to the quality of corresponding pages on more traditional 
> resources.
>
> The Nature study on the other hand was scientifically sound on both of those 
> points. It did a random sample of pages on a broad range of scientific 
> topics. And it compared the quality of those pages to comparable pages on 
> Brittanica.
>
> The Nature study is also consistent with my personal experience (and that of 
> most people I talk to) as a user of Wikipedia. In other words, whenever I go 
> to a Wikipedia page on a topic that I know well, I find it to be good quality 
> and accurate.
>
> So... Until someone shows me a scientifically sound demonstration that 
> Wikipedia pages are of significantly lower quality than other more 
> traditional resources, I will continue claiming that wikis like Wikipedia can 
> lead to quality content.
>
>
> ----
> Alain Désilets, National Research Council of Canada
> Chair, WikiSym 2007
>
> 2007 International Symposium on Wikis
> Wikis at Work in the World:
> Open, Organic, Participatory Media for the 21st Century
>
> http://www.wikisym.org/ws2007/
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>

_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l

Reply via email to