> I don't have a specific reference for you, just some 
> comments. :) I think perhaps your original claim is too 
> strong--on both counts.
> Including the word "can" as you did in your reply is 
> important. Wikis CAN lead to high-quality content. And CAN 
> lead to active communities.

Yes, I came to the same realization after writing my reply. I have
started quite a few wiki sites that never achieved either quality nor
active communities ;-).

> (Clearly there are examples of active communities and 
> examples of wikis that never get used much.) I am not 
> convinced that the technology itself leads to high-quality 
> articles in Wikipedia, and I don't think that the Nature 
> article supports that claim in any way.

When I talk about "wiki", I am not talking about just the technology. I
am also talking about the wiki way and philosophy (which, btw, I
consider much more significant than the technology that we currently use
to support that wiki way and philosophy).

> One could hypothesize about characteristics of wiki that help 
> support the goal of producing high-quality articles and try 
> to empirically verify the claim, but to my knowledge no one 
> has done so in any systematic fashion.

Well, there are a number of wiki patterns and anti-patterns that have
been written here:

www.wikipatterns.com

But that's not exactly a scientific analysis of what works and doesn't.

Oh welll... Maybe I'll just leave it as a "bold" claim.

Thx Andrea.

Alain

_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l

Reply via email to