On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Richard Jensen <rjen...@uic.edu> wrote:

> JSTOR reports there were about 300 articles on Shakespeare a year in
> scholarly journals in 1997 to 2006; none of them are cited, nor any since
> then and only one before then.  This is typical as well of political and
> military history. Wiki editors are not using scholarly journals. I assume
> that is because they are unaware of them.

Not at all.

Wikipedians are *very much* aware that these journals exist. They do not
have access to them, because they are unaffiliated scholars. Dozens of
editors want access to this content,[1] but can't have it because JSTOR
locks it down. They just now started letting people access content that is
in the public domain!

If as an academic, you see a problem where peer reviewed content is not
cited in Wikipedia, I would strongly encourage you to join the movement
lobbying for openness in scholarly work. Otherwise, you're complaining
about a problem that Wikipedians do not have the power to fix, because
academics tacitly support a system in which knowledge is kept in the hands
of the few who can pay for it.

--
Steven Walling
https://wikimediafoundation.org/