All fields have reviews, textbooks, popularization books, and encyclopedias ...
but there are few scholars or disciplines that see creation of these resources
(as valuable as they are) as their primary mission.

For this discussion it's important for us to see that there are many ways in
which this is highly functional.

Telling craftsmen (people?) to pay attention to end users needs rarely results
in better design and it severely disrupts their social structures which are
focused on intrinsic values.   In contrast, "entrepreneurs"/product
creators/etc. are very focused on the match between artifacts and needs -- and
their communities have very different ways of organizing and motivating
participants.

While these distinctions are all a matter of degree, in most cases people (and
groups) find it very difficult to be both/and.