On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Steven Walling <swall...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> They do not have access to them, because they are unaffiliated scholars.
> Dozens of editors want access to this content,[1] but can't have it because
> JSTOR locks it down.

A friend pointed out to me offlist that there is a slight error in my
statement which merits correcting: JSTOR is not necessarily to blame here,
since they are simply an archive, and have to fit in with how journal
publishers license their content.

So FWIW, the real solution probably starts with open access journals like
those published by PLoS. Wikipedia could do a lot more to encourage use of
the the open access content that already is available.

--
Steven Walling
https://wikimediafoundation.org/