They are more than an archive. They impose a very hefty surcharge on
their own account, beyond what they need pay for licensing the
backfiles from the publishers.  They spent the money very usefully in
the past: they have scanned and archived hundreds of thousands of
pages print journals at a time nobody else was doing it sand no
electronic backfiles existed, themselves developing the technology.
They continue to archive additional print publications--but since
there are so many people prepared to use what is now a mature
technology without charging anybody for it, perhaps this role is no
longer essential.

And making available backfiles that publishers have already digitized
costs very little by comparison. But their publishers are by and large
not profit-making commercial enterprises: they are primarily scholarly
societies, some of them prosperous, but most very precariously funded
themselves.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Steven Walling <swall...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Steven Walling <swall...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> They do not have access to them, because they are unaffiliated scholars.
>> Dozens of editors want access to this content,[1] but can't have it because
>> JSTOR locks it down.
>

> A friend pointed out to me offlist that there is a slight error in my
> statement which merits correcting: JSTOR is not necessarily to blame here,
> since they are simply an archive, and have to fit in with how journal
> publishers license their content.
>
> So FWIW, the real solution probably starts with open access journals like
> those published by PLoS. Wikipedia could do a lot more to encourage use of
> the the open access content that already is available.
>
> --
> Steven Walling
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/

David Goodman