On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Brian Keegan <bkee...@northwestern.edu> wrote:
> It seems nigh-impossible to assemble an editorial board that is
> simultaneously open
> and qualified to reviewing submissions that almost certainly cover the gamut
> from journalism and media studies, computer and information sciences,
> complex and network sciences, sociology and organizational behavior,
> business and economics, legal and policy studies, education and outreach.

This is why I think a wiki for research would be so cool.  Again, just
imagine Wikipedia without the "no original research" restriction.

"Why would people contribute to a wiki Research Hub?" is very
different from "Why would people contribute to a Wiki Studies
journal?"

People from the fields you mentioned might have many (different)
reasons for participating in cutting edge, massively multiauthor,
and/or highly cross-disciplinary work ON a wiki.  As for where they
publish in the end, that would presumably be up to them.

However, it would also be relatively easy create a collection of
"overlay journals" on top of the wiki research hub, with individual
review boards who were qualified to deal with particular selections of
topics (E.g. the "Wiki Journal of Journalism and Media Studies", the
"Wiki Journal of Computer and Information Sciences", etc.)

It seems to me that if we built support for research practices in
general, support for research publication practices would follow in
due course.