Jodi,

You have a good point about the ease of changing WikiSym and opening a new
track, but I wonder why an author might choose to submit a "working paper"
and pay for travel to a conference if they'll end up submitting the final
product to a place where they receive credit anyway.

Since WikiSym is intended to be a terminal publication venue, I'd like that
all who submit (and are accepted) get the appropriate amount of credit for
their work, but I understand that it would be naive to expect the world to
be able/willing to quickly change.

-Aaron

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Jodi Schneider <jschnei...@pobox.com>wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> I think Dariusz' suggestion is that we add a conference track for
> non-archival "working papers" from social scientists.
>
> It is much faster for WikiSym to change than for the recognition
> environment of all social scientists to change. Even if we mark papers as
> archival the 'conference' label may still be a downside.
>
> What do you think?
>
> -Jodi
>

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Aaron Halfaker
> <aaron.halfa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Can we not just label which of our accepted papers are archival?  It
>> seems that some disciplines assume Journal == Archival and Conference !=
>> Archival.  This is apparently inaccurate in other disciplines so there must
>> be some reason we don't just note which papers are archived and which are
>> not.  I don't see it though.
>>
>> -Aaron
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Dariusz Jemielniak <dar...@alk.edu.pl>wrote:
>>
>>> I think it basically is a different publication model. You probably
>>> could have two track (one for final, the other for working papers) so as to
>>> address the disciplines which rely on journals as final outlets.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Dj