Hi WereSpielChequers, Kerry, Aaron and all,

____WereSpielChequers wrote:
"the community is more abrasive towards women"

this may be stats expert discourse, but let me show you how the question
itself has a gendered slant.
imagine what would happen - also in your research design - if it read: "the
community is less abrasive towards men" - how does this compare to the
first question re who are "the community"?

and again, re phasing ten years in 2011 and four years on, which language
version(s) are hypotheses based on?

____Kerry wrote:
"But I would agree that if an organisation sets a target (25% women in this
particular case) and then does not put in place a means of measuring the
progress against that target, one has to question the point of establishing a
target."

I think one has to question the point of not putting in place a means of
measuring the progress...
and also ask why, if the issue is a high priority (allegedly, one might add, in
speeches at meetings, in interviews with the press...) this organisation does
not fund any top level research... - or does it?

____Aaron wrote:
"higher quality survey data"
well, and how does one recognize low quality and how come it is so low?
and "quality" by whose epistemological aims and standards?

"causes and mechanisms that drive the gender gap (and related
participation gaps)"
which "related participation gaps" do you have in mind here?
where would these gaps be situated in terms of areas of participation?
and, again, in which language version(s)?

best,
Claudia