On a very non-scientific measure of how few editors currently use V/E, I
took some snapshots of the most recent 500 mainspace edits
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500&days=30>yesterday
and was getting circa 1% tagged as visual editor, I've just run two sample
this afternoon and the first had not a single edit tagged Visual editor and
the other only four, so unless some of those experienced users using V/e
have opted out of having their edits tagged V/E, I'm assuming "gobs and
gobs" are either on other language wikis, heavily skewed to a time of day I
haven't sampled or big in number but still too small a proportion to
account for the increase in the number of editors doing >100 edits per
month.