Dear Wikiresearchers,

You may be aware that a rising number of scientific publications are published under a CC-BY licence.

Roughly describing the politics of academic publishing, one can say that publishers hold on to a very profictable business by paywalling articles, academics tend to publish in the most prestigious (paywalled) journals for the sake of their career, but some institutions (like the NIH in the US or the Plan S in Europe) are beginning to require that the publicly funded research papers be accessible to all, surfing on the wave of a desirable "open" science.

One of the consequences of this situation is that, through what is called "gold" open access, authors are actually paying the publishers for their paper to be published in a (usually paywalled) journal under a CC (most of the time CC-BY) licence.

The merits and issues of gold open access is beyond the scope of my post, but, as an academic and a wikipedian, I can see potential here : The re-use into Wikipedia of scientific texts on a massive scale.

I am aware that some experiments have been started in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Circular_permutation_in_proteins#Preparing_Extension_of_article
https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002446

The PloS journals actually tried to open bridges between their texts and Wikipedia articles and the "Circular permutation of proteins" example (and a few others) inspired me to actually transfer one of my papers that was published in a wholly CC-BY journal into a wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_Chemistry_List
https://jcheminf.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13321-018-0322-7

My point is : as it can be imagined that the number of CC-BY scientific papers will likely sky-rocket in the next years, would not it be relevant to try to organise "CC-BY scientific papers" driven edit-a-thons (in academic libraries for example) to foster such practices (and also adress the issues of wikification / neutralisation / secondarification that it would imply) ?
Or do such initiatives exist already ?

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
alexandre.hocq...@univ-lorraine.fr
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet