On 17/04/2019 21:56, Leila Zia wrote:

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM Stuart A. Yeates <syea...@gmail.com <mailto:syea...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Wikipedia is a tertiary source, built from secondary sources. Journal
    articles which contain innovative research or new contributions are
    primary sources. Review articles are secondary sources.
I need some education here, please: What about Wikisource? Isn't the project targeted at primary sources? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikisource#What_is_Wikisource?

Well, if you regard the idea as to massively and automatically import scientific literature into an encyclopaedia, I guess your points are valid.

But it is not what I'm advocating for, here. My point is that there is a lot of wikipedia-useful information within academic papers that could be re-used. Think about reviews : their purpose is actually to be a tertiary synthesis based on secondary sources. Think about the "Introduction" sections of papers : there are supposed to perform a survey of existing literature. Think about some papers in some academic fields in the Human sciences that are actually entirely built on previous litterature.

I'm not saying that it would be useful to uncritically import, I'm saying that we could benefit from some of this material, and that instead of rejecting it as mere self-promotion, or condemning the entire scientific literature as being "primary" (what? then a lot of wikipedia articles should be labelled as {{secondary sources needed}}) we should learn how to re-use it eficiently.

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
alexandre.hocq...@univ-lorraine.fr
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet