Le 2013-04-05 09:32, Gregor Hagedorn a écrit :
On 4 April 2013 22:23, Michael Hale <hale.michael...@live.com> wrote:
trench, then I just want to update it on Wikidata, and then every article that references it will be updated. I don't want to have to update it on
Wikidata and then go do a null edit on every article that uses that
information.

You are correct, the "current version" would have to be an exception,
and display under the current time rules just as in the
implementation. My proposal only makes sense when versions from the
history are being displayed.

Gregor

Do you also plane to add a "source" relation? I mean, a statement is necessarily stated somewhere before it comes into the db. Some statement could have an empty field for this relation, but it should be a "need fix" state.

I don't believe in "timeless universal statement". Sure there are statements that everybody would agree. But this mean we should have no difficulty to find some references where you can find this statement claimed. Also we should keep in mind that what we can sincerely perceive as universal truth, may well be a cognitive/cultural bias.

To resume, Wikidata should not be a statements database, but a statements on statements database. That is, "we claim that this paper/person/source claims that" and not "we claim that". As said, we don't have to make it a necessary requirement and an entry without such a source may be taken as "someone (see history) reported there's a used statement which claims 'blablabla', but we have no source to support this statement".

It's even more important with historical statements. Past history is not something which can't be falsifyed: it's something that some groups may even actively want to distort. In France for example it's illegal to claim revisionism statements, that is to claim that there was no Holocaust during World War II, because there are groups that actively defend such a these. But you can't rely on such a legal mean to prevent governemental history distortions, and it prevent people to train their critical mind. So to my mind it's better to be able to know who claim what, so anyone can judge by itself if some conflict of interest are involved or not.