Wondering exactly the same thing - my frustrations with categories
began about three years ago and it seems I am surprised monthly by
severe limitations to this outdated apparatus. I am a heavy category
user, but I would love to be able to kick it out the door in favour of
a more structured method. As far as I can tell, there is very little
synchronisation among language Wikipedias of category trees, and being
able to apply a central structure to all Wikipedias through Wikidata
sounds like a great idea, and one which would not disturb the current
category trees we already have, but supplement them. As I see it, some
category structures are OK, but when categories get big, people split
them in non-standard ways, causing problems like this recent
media-hype regarding female novellists. I think that it's great this
is in the news in this way, because I am sure that most Wikipedia
readers never knew we had categories, and this is a great introduction
to them, as well as an invitation to edit Wikipedia.