There's a related essay on Wikimedia Commons:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Multichill/Next_generation_categories
.

The Wikidata properties instance
of<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property_talk:P31>(formerly "is a")
and subclass
of <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property_talk:P279> are likely relevant
to folks interested in ontology building on Wikidata.  They're based on
rdfs:type <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_type> and
rdfs:subClassOf<http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_subclassof>from
W3C recommendations, and allow for building a rooted DAG that places
concepts into a hierarchy of knowledge.  They also allow for a degree
of type-token
distinction <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type%E2%80%93token_distinction>when
classifying subjects, though how that applies to certain knowledge
domains hasn't been fully sussed out.