On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Daniel Kinzler
<daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de> wrote:
> The problem is that we don't really know what topic the user is looking for,
> we
> just know a term (the search string or page title). The easiest thin to do
> would
> be to show an automatic disambiguation page, listing items that have a
> matching
> label or alias. That page would show the description for each such item, and a
> link to the corresponding page on the local wiki, if there is one.

Yeah we need some kind of disambiguation. But even then we want to
show the user more about each of those topics. We're talking mostly
about small wikis that have no article coverage for a lot of topics.
I'll add the disambiguation point to the wiki page. Let's keep
discussion there if possible.

> This sidesteps the question of how we might show a "summary" of some sort of a
> specific data item. If we want that, picking the appropriate infobox template
> would be nice, but I'm not sure how that could be done.

Well there could be a very generic infobox template for example. On a
small Wikipedia that would already be a win.

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.