On 11 March 2015 at 09:23, Markus Krötzsch
<mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org> wrote:

>> Independent of where it sits now, what where does it aspire to sit?
>
> The uncontested target would be:
>
> * Every lighthouse that is found in any Wikipedia (hence in Wikidata) should
> be "instance of lighthouse" and have coordinates and country defined.
>
> A possible target to discuss would be to add:
>
> * Every lighthouse should be in Wikidata.
>
> Whether or not this makes sense depends on how many lighthouses there really
> are. Maybe we are not so far from completeness. Lighthouses are prominent
> landmarks of historic, nautic, and touristic interest, so should be valid
> Wikipedia topics anyway. Moreover, they tend to change very little over
> time, so data maintenance is relatively easy.
>
> Note that this is quite different from streets, which change names all the
> time, get created, demolished, and merged, and are much larger in number.
> From these properties, I think OSM is much better suited for managing this
> data for now.

I wonder if it would be useful to have a centralised list of "classes
of things in Wikidata". For example:

Things entirely in Wikidata

* MEPs
* County-level administrative divisions of all countries
* All artworks by the following people (list)
* Cultural heritage sites in the following countries (list)
* All people listed in the following biographical databases (list)
* (etc)

Things not yet entirely in Wikidata (but probably will be eventually)

* All national-level elected representatives
* All species
* Lighthouses
* All artworks by the following people (list)
* Cultural heritage sites in the following countries (list)
* All people listed in the following biographical databases (list)

Things which will never be complete in Wikidata

* All local politicians
* Streets worldwide
* All businesses

This would be a very useful adjunct to the notability page, as it
would give concrete examples to work from for the sort of things we
feel are appropriate.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk