On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Daniel Kinzler
<daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de> wrote:
> Am 04.09.2014 20:03, schrieb Jeroen De Dauw:
>> I'm also curious to if WMF is indeed not running any CLI tools on the cluster
>> which happen to use Symfony Console.
>
> As far as I know, no unreviewed 3rd party php code is running on the public
> facing app servers. Anything that has a debian package is ok. Don't know about
> PEAR...

I probably misspoke in that conversation.

There are two main review processes to get external dependencies
installed on the Wikimedia cluster.  One way is by checking it in
somewhere in the source, and going through our code review process.
The other way is to get it deployed as part of the base operating
system.

If you're going to go the source control route, then it needs to go
through code review.

If you're going to go the operating system route, then TechOps will
make the call.  I don't know everything that goes into their thought
process, but having a Debian package is a necessary (but not always
sufficient) means of getting it deployed.  The value of relying on
packaging goes way down if you aren't prepared to use the version that
comes with the Ubuntu LTS versions.  So, if you're thinking that "oh,
there's a package, great, let's now get them to upgrade to the
bleeding edge!", you're likely to be disappointed.  Also, TechOps is
pretty stingy about what they accept responsibility for.

TechOps tends to be skeptical of language specific tools such as PEAR,
Composer, npm, pip, CPAN, etc.  When we use those things, we tend to
use them in conjunction with source control and the review process
there.

Hope this helps.

Rob