On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Daniel Kinzler
<daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de> wrote:
> I guess I just oversimplified what was said in our discussion. I'll try to
> summarize what you now wrote:
>
> If there is a package for dbal/symfony/whatever in Ubuntu LTS, we have a good
> chance, but no guarantee, that TechOps is fine with deploying it.

Hi Daniel,

"Good chance" is overstating it.  Merely better chance than if there
was no package.  In the case of something that is clearly a PHP
library, I'm guessing that Ops would ask Platform for a
recommendation, and then you're kinda back where you started.

I'm kinda regretting bringing up the apt repo case, because basically
a loophole in our review strategy, not something I'm sure we want to
encourage or something I believe will get a great deal of traction.
There's an outside chance that people shrug and say "sure, why not?",
but I don't think it's going to be generally attractive.

That said, I'll go ahead and answer the stuff below, just in case it's
still of interest....

> Quick update on that: If I understand correctly, the cluster is running Ubuntu
> 12.04, which doesn't have the packages in question, but an upgrade to 14.04 is
> in the pipeline.
>
> So, there are two things we need to know in order to make an informed
> decision:
>
> 1) can we use the Ubuntu LTS packages for symfony and dbal?

Per above, probably not likely.

> 2) when is 14.04 going to be rolled out?

Concurrently with the HHVM upgrade.  In the coming weeks.  We don't
have a set end date for when all machines will be converted, but we
should be well underway by the end of this month.  There's probably
going to be a stubborn service or two that will stick around quite a
bit longer than that, though.

> Who can answer these questions? How do we poke TechOps?

The Wikimedia Operations list is a good place to ask about this type of thing.

Rob