Personally I would prefer a mixed approach, where there is a list of
top-level items that are authorized, and then verifying that the item used
is a subclass of any of those items. Whether those constraints are
hard-enforced or just supervised could be a topic of discussion, but IMHO
the more automated, the better.

Regarding the codes, it can be generated with the code of the top-level
item+the Q number of the item used. If someone wants to use one or the
other, it should be quite easy to remove.

Cheers,
David

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Denny Vrandečić <vrande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The current spec of the data model states that an L-Item has a lemma, a
> language, and several forms, and the forms in turn have representations.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikibaseLexeme/Data_Model
>
> The language is a Q-Item, the lemma and the representations are
> Multilingual Texts. Multilingual texts are sets of pairs of strings and
> UserLanguageCodes.
>
> My question is about the relation between representing a language as a
> Q-Item and as a UserLanguageCode.
>
> A previous proposal treated lemmas and representations as raw strings,
> with the language pointing to the Q-Item being the only language
> information. This now is gone, and the lemma and representation carry their
> own language information.
>
> How do they interact? The language set referencable through Q-Items is
> much larger than the set of languages with a UserLanguageCode, and indeed,
> the intention was to allow for every language to be representable in
> Wikidata, not only those with a UserLanguageCode.
>
> I sense quite a problem here.
>
> I see two possible ways to resolve this:
> - return to the original model and use strings instead of Multilingual
> texts (with all the negative implications for variants)
> - use Q-Items instead of UserLanguageCodes for Multilingual texts (which
> would be quite a migration)
>
> I don't think restricting Wiktionary4Wikidata support to the list of
> languages with a UserLanguageCode is a viable solution, which would happen
> if we implement the data model as currently suggested, if I understand it
> correctly.
>
> Cheers,
> Denny

Etiamsi omnes, ego non