It is unsurprising that editors find such references unreadable, they are. When
working on a wp article with, in some cases, several hundred references, one
needs mnemonic tools to keep from confusing them. Requiring a legible refname
or Harvard ref would go far to addressing this, though it might not relieve all
concerns.

LeadSongDog