Hi,

You can already found some information here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikidata#Development_history (including
finance details is you follow the sources).

For the "How intertwined is Google", it's a long and complex story, it goes
back at least to 2005 (Wikipedia probably wouldn't exist today - or in a
drastic different way - if the search engine didn't favour Wikipedia since
then).
As a non-answer, I would say that Wikidata is as intertwined with Google as
any major website is intertwined with Google.

Cdlt, ~nicolas