-----Original Message-----
From: wikieducator@googlegroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Wiley
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:41 AM
To: wikieducator@googlegroups.com
Subject: [WikiEducator] Re: International accredited OER based
university

Simon and Leigh,

We haven't been talking about it much, because we're still one step in
the approval process away, but for a year now we've been working on
establishing the Open High School of Utah - a publicly funded (and
therefore free as in beer to students in the state of Utah) completely
online high school that uses OERs exclusively throughout the entire
curriculum. The final approval should be given this May for a Fall
2009 opening in which we'll admit a class of 9th graders, meaning that
we'll have 15 months or so to put together the entire 9th grade
curriculum's worth of OERs built out to stand-alone quality (i.e., not
OERs to supplement textbooks, OERs as the primary content for the high
school). Then in 2010 we'll do 9th and 10th grade, etc., until in 2012
we're running all four years of high school.

All the materials will be freely available, as will our charter
document, as will all the technology we will use to run the school. We
hope to be a model of how OERs can revolutionize the practice and the
funding of both learning AND education...

references;http://www.research.ibm.com/visual/projects/history_flow/http
://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~luca/papers/07/wikiwww2007.pdf

> > Ooo! I can't see it. But that's only because i never have.
Evaluation
> > to me, and I've had to employ graduates to do media jobs, always
comes
> > down to seeing of they, or their teachers, can do it. i.e. have
> > institutions prepared the inexperienced for it?. Old industries, no
> > problem. New industries, like the interactive media ones; rarely a
> > clue.
> >
> > Let me give you an illustration of a change going back 30 years.
Unis
> > were trying to "teach" AV production stuff. Many didn't have a
> > recording desk. Even fewer had relationships with bands or actors
> > interested in recording. Even if some students did, they wouldn't be
> > encouraged to bring those noisy long haired gits into a lovely clean
> > studio.
> >
> > So one dirty engineer in Sydney started offering courses in his
> > studio, which now, though some unis in 49 countries, offers
accredited
> > courses. http://www.sae.edu/. But it wasn't until the unis were
> > included in the Learning mix of enough working engineers that the
> > accreditations were given. Until then, we usually just gave students
> > piece of paper, and for the more determined, helped them find them a
> > job. Now a three month course has inflated to three years.
> >
> > The thing i find fascinating - when watching new interactive &
global
> > media institutions, like Wikipedia, et al, get their Project Groups'
> > Learning ground(s) together and professionalize good habits, while
at
> > the same time watching national Teaching institutions struggling to
> > think outside their squares - is that nothing seems to have changed.
> >
> > In the professionals' web space, you see the beginnings of global
> > interactive environments, which are obviously self sustaining and
> > appear to help people meet peers, get their heads around the things
> > good web designer needs to know and maybe get some (paid)
experience.