Leigh,

Upon reading this reply I believe we have considerable alignment on
this issue. A few questions on this topic as I believe them imporatnt
to this conversation.

1) Someone pays for access somehow. To say your institution provides
access for free I would question this. Where is the cost for this
infrastructure covered? In student tuition fees? or internal to the
institutions budget? Or is it provided for free by national
infrastructure budgets? Other?
2) No need to go on... But I wonder if NZ has an initiative to create
an academic shared service for much of this infrastructure. One thing
I have been advocating for is national (or provincial, as in Canada)
shared service for many of the items you have listed. Just imagine how
great it would be if there was a NZ national infrastructure for all
this. I could see at least six of these items moved into this national
infrastructure and the costs shared among all the institutions of
learning that consume it. (that would be great savings for each
institution) Just think of the competative advantage NZ institutions
could have in the global distance ed space if they pulled this off. So
much more money would be made available for the development of courses
not in dealing with infrastructure...

Then make a deal with ASUS and give every student an Eee PC 900 with
very little (or maybe no) increase to tuition fees...

Cheers,