Wayne and Kirby (others?),

I agree regarding OLPC and the (limited) practice emerging from it. It's a
different use of the technology than what's normally being done. Papert's
work from a long time ago is, I assume, still an inspiration for those
alternative uses. It's therefore different also from the underlying
philosophy of WE and most OER initiatives.

I took a look at the freedom toaster. I'm not sure if I understood the
concept well. How is this different from just building your own computer or
acquiring one built by others and having it at an affordable price, loading
it with whatever you want to load it with? I'm thinking of places where I
worked in remote regions in the DRC. Schools with nothing. Stones for kids
to sit on; a piece of blackened scrap wood to write on as a chalk board;
teachers and students with no access whatsoever to even the most basic
sources of information; no electricity supply, except for the occasional
portable generator if at all. Preloaded OERs would have to be transported
with the device that contains them from wherever there is a possibility to
upload them (the nearest village or small town with (irregular) Internet
access and basic electricity supply to where they are actually needed. That
may involve someone having to walk for half a day, carrying some small
device, like an iPod, with all the stuff on it and requiring no more than a
photovoltaic charger or something of that kind to run it. An iPod-sized
screen may not be ideal for reading, but it may work. Somewhat larger
devices (Archos, electronic book readers) might do a better job.

Content must be thought of having the available technology in mind. If
reading extensive documents from a small screen is not an option and
printing out documents is also impossible, audio perhaps is a possibility.
Or audio files enhanced with sketchy verbal and graphic information.
Surprisingly or not, cell phones-shared by many-are in those circumstances
often more likely to be found than any other piece of transportable
hardware. If they are of the kind that is capable of uploading and playing
songs, their memory capacity could also be used for uploading learning
resources in audio format. Just an idea. My main point is that circumstances
vary widely and there has been little progress so far in preparing the local
environment to be able to explore creatively the (limited) technological
resources available. From what I have seen of it, OLPC is possibly one of
the global initiatives best placed to foster such development at the local
level.

Thoughts?

Jan

--

Jan Visser, Ph.D.

President & Sr. Researcher, Learning Development Institute

E-mail: jvis...@learndev.org

Check out: http://www.learndev.org and http://www.facebook.com/learndev

Blog: http://jvisser-ldi.blogspot.com/

  _____