Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com> writes:

> Register for the next Open Content Licensing for Educators
> <http://wikieducator.org/OCL4Ed>workshop :-).
>
> This is a free professional development opportunity on OER, Copyright and

Thank you for the tip;

> In short you will need to consult your national copyright act to identify
> whether there are any specific educational exceptions which would cover the
> practice you suggest.

Ok; I am in the USA.  I should have written that up-front.

> However, in most countries,  restricting access to students for scanned
> copies of all-rights reserved texts would not qualify as fair dealing --
> format shifting is not permitted under "standard" copyright.   Your
> institution may participate in a licensing arrangement, which in return for
> a fee, may permit these activities (But this is not a fair dealing / fair
> usage practice.)

So in this digital age, for me to assign my students to read ten pages
from a book, they would have to physically check out the book on
reserve in the library rather than read a PDF on the web?

That seems rather draconian.