Thus we have to go to Open Courseware, Open Educational Resources, and
Open Access, and cut commercial publishers out of the loop. I wrote a
market research study many years ago predicting that technical
journals would cease to depend on commercial print publishing, which
has high costs and heavy restrictions, and I am delighted to see my
prediction coming true, even though very, very gradually. As an
example, Harvard has just come out for moving entirely to Open Access
for all of its faculty. Bangladesh digitized all of their primary and
secondary textbooks, and other countries are doing so or making plans.
There are well over a hundred thousand digital learning modules under
Creative Commons.

I am doing my part as Program Manager for Replacing Textboks at Sugar
Labs, the Free Software and OER partner of One Laptop Per Child. I get
to make presents for millions of children every day, and we can all
look forward to the time when that expands to a billion children at a
time. (All of them, except perhaps in North Korea.)

What we need to do next is to get organized to produce complete suites
of OERs, new curricula (with supporting research) incorporating
software and OERs into every subject at every level, translations for
every country and language community that needs it, and teacher
training. Wayne is organizing OER University. The New York Regents
have asked for proposals to do the same, and been turned down by every
commercial publisher. Who would like to help me start OERK-12, and
have a go at it?

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Ivan K. <ivan_521...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Register for the next Open Content Licensing for Educators
>> <http://wikieducator.org/OCL4Ed>workshop :-).
>>
>> This is a free professional development opportunity on OER, Copyright and
>
> Thank you for the tip;
>

>> In short you will need to consult your national copyright act to identify
>> whether there are any specific educational exceptions which would cover the
>> practice you suggest.
>
> Ok; I am in the USA.  I should have written that up-front.
>
>> However, in most countries,  restricting access to students for scanned
>> copies of all-rights reserved texts would not qualify as fair dealing --
>> format shifting is not permitted under "standard" copyright.   Your
>> institution may participate in a licensing arrangement, which in return for
>> a fee, may permit these activities (But this is not a fair dealing / fair
>> usage practice.)
>
> So in this digital age, for me to assign my students to read ten pages
> from a book, they would have to physically check out the book on
> reserve in the library rather than read a PDF on the web?
>
> That seems rather draconian.

Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin