Edward Cherlin <echer...@gmail.com> writes:

> Thus we have to go to Open Courseware, Open Educational Resources,
> and Open Access, and cut commercial publishers out of the loop.

This works for some material but not obviously for important
first hand sources.

For example, I would like some of my music students to read
Arnold Schoenberg's actual writings on Anton Webern.  These
writings are only a few pages and I _could_ put the book on
reserve in the library for the students to one at a time,
check out and read or photocopy this material, but I would
hope that photo-copying these 2-3 pages and putting them
on Blackboard or the web would be covered
under fair use.

I need to research this obviously, though I was wondering
if anyone here had any concrete answers.
Again, I am in the USA.

> [...]
> What we need to do next is to get organized to produce complete suites
> of OERs, new curricula (with supporting research) incorporating
> software and OERs into every subject at every level, translations for

Oh; I am all for this and am doing my part, but it still cannot
replace the actual writings of important people in particular
fields.