On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM, K. Peachey <p858sn...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> What is frustrating is the demands from some chauvinists that American
>> dates be used in non-American articles. France uses International
>> format dates (14 July 1789),
> But were not all american so they shouldn't be used, there should be a
> global accessibable standard.

The only real standard for dates is the ISO one: 2008-12-25.

Some countries, notably Asian ones where written text is in characters
not suited to an English language wiki, use year-month-day. But we
aren't going to use that standard, because it looks odd in English
text. Sigmund Jones married Mary Smith on 2008-12-25. Their son,
Solaris, was born a week later on 2009-01-01.

It's easy enough to find out what format a country or a region or a
culture uses - just go to the preferences screen for your computer and
select the appropriate area to see an example. Surprise, surprise,
surprise. Very few countries use the American month-day-year format.

So. Are we an international project, paying appropriate attention to
internationalising our product, or are we a battleground of cultural
imperialism?

My preference is to use U.S. formats, measurements, currency for U.S.
articles, and take it from there: use the forms appropriate to the
subject. If there's no obvious default, then leave it alone, following
the BC/BCE wars that spawned the Arbcoms's Jguk decision.

--
Peter in Canberra