On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Carcharoth <carcharot...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> To be fair, the date preferences-as-wikilinks situation *had* led to
> overlinking. I'm fairly liberal in terms of linking and tend to
> overlink from the view of many people, but even I see that many of the
> date links were pointless. The trouble is, not all were pointless and
> people argued over the details while the bots mostly ignored
> restrictions and stripped date links regardless of objections.
> Sometimes, in the most ridiculous cases, the bot operator talked to
> the objectors, the links were restored with promises that the bot
> would be changed, and then the next bot run removed the links again!
> That's just inept.
Which is why i recommended/suggested a special character for dates, so
you can allow autoformatting but not the automatic linking (although i
guess you could have a option in your preferences for the people that
liked it). Using a special character could have other uses as well i
guess like automatic metadata attached to the article or something
along those lines.