On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But completely seriously, a subject that can be exhaustively
> covered briefly, is not a stub. Period.

Yes.  A stub is a place-holder for a real article.  I suspect that the
name is by analogy with a stub function in programming, since the
people who started Wikipedia included many programmers; a stub in that
context is a do-nothing or test-data implementation of a function,
created so the project as a whole can be compiled and the parts that
aren't the stub can be given some testing.

Thus, a stub on Wikipedia is something that's there INSTEAD of the
proper article that should be at that location.  People create them so
they can categorize them, link them in properly, put a few appropriate
'see also', 'external links' and sources, and a talk page, before they
have time or other resources to write a real encyclopedia article
there.

There are plenty of things in the world that everything that should be
said about them fits in a paragraph.  This doesn't make them not worth
an article.

-Matt