2009/2/21 Ben Kovitz <bkov...@acm.org>:
>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Thomas Dalton
>> <thomas.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm just going by the statistics, I'm not making any judgements based
>>> on anything else. At the moment, we seem to be following a logistic
>>> curve which levels out at around 3.5 million articles in around
>>> 2013-14. (It's asymptotic, but it will be pretty much there by then.)
>
> Is there any data on changes in the percentage of work spent on adding
> new material vs. undoing damage to existing material?  I'm thinking not
> only of vandalism, but "clueless edits": people posting religious
> evangelism, pushing pet theories, adding bogus facts to make their
> country/city/whatever look more significant than it really is,
> replacing good writing with bad writing, etc.

I've seen pie charts showing what proportion of edits are reverted,
reverts and genuine article improvements. I can't remember where,
though...

> Hypothesis: The more good material there is, the more human effort it
> takes to keep it from getting degraded.  So, nearing the asymptote,
> most serious Wikipedia editors may end up spending most of their time
> doing reverts.  An unpleasant thought.

That's a very interesting point... FlaggedRevs may help there - if
it's turned on for the entire site it would allow for more efficient
RC patrol. Even with that, we may eventually hit a point where there
is too much vandalism to cope with (at least with FlaggedRevs we would
have a very clear metric - the age of the oldest unreviewed edit), at
which point we may have to take unpleasant measures (banning anonymous
editing is the obvious one - I hope we never get to the point where
that is necessary...).