On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Fred Bauder <fredb...@fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> So we got Conservapedia and some other conservative website accusing
>> Wikipedia of having a liberal bias. What else is new, or what else are
>> we to expect?
>>
>> -MuZemike
>
> Well, is there anything at all to it, or is it just bull?
>
> Fred

Responding on some technical points;

10 (relativity/PBR) - no substance
12 (Pioneer Anomaly) - numerically understanding and articulating the
various factors and their estimated errors is critical to coherently
understanding this phenomena.  WP article is decent (in part because
an involved scientist is a contributor) - CP seems not to get it.
[disclaimer - COI, slightly involved]
14 (engineering - wind turbines) - no substance
16 (relativity contradictions) - no substance
39 (cold fusion) - may have a point here, but we know about this one...
40 (strategic defense initiative) - no substance [disclaimer - COI,
but pro-SDI-ish COI]
45 (gun politics in the US) - no substance [disclaimer - pro-gun COI]
76 (wikipedia promoting suicide) - no substance
95 (operation eagle claw / iran hostage / carter election) - editorial
choice to put political consequences in main article on hostage
crisis, not in the article on the rescue itself; main article has
coverage in lede for the issue.
97 (editor liberal bias) - probably true but omits age based
statistical trend (younger / more liberal) - WP generally consistent
with active internet user community.
107 (edward teller / oppenheimer security clearance testimony) - WP
article is consistent with biographies and histories of the event,
perhaps more Teller-leaning nuanced than the average historical
coverage
119 (elementary proof) - doesn't appear to have been in WP until the
mathematics project got going 2007ish, from reviewing its article and
the main mathematical proof article.  i don't consider this a valid
criticism, however; WP's growth and evolution are strength (and future
challenge) not flaw.
141 (communism mass killings) - main communism article section
"Criticisms of communism" at the bottom of page has links to "Mass
killings under communist regimes" prominently, so it's there now.  500
edits ago it was mentioned in the criticisms section but not linked
directly off the main article.

I'm going to stop there, with a general observation - I think they're
right on one big picture thing: Wikipedia has an editorial bias - our
"default neutrality" is that of a moderately internationalist,
left-of-US-center somewhat more intellectual than average and more
young internet user than average position, compared to the US
political landscape as a whole.  I.e., our userbase (editors) is
skewed younger and more liberally, with the Internet early adopters
general population statistics.

I am concerned not so much with the specifics they are pointing out,
but at a general trend that we may include more negatives about
conservative positions and people than about liberal positions and
people, which would be worth some statistical analysis.  Ancedotal
examples, especially those cited by someone so far off on the right
end of the spectrum as young-earth creationists, aren't particularly
useful for identifying the pattern.

--
-george william herbert
george.herb...@gmail.com