-Brock

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Guettarda <guetta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 3:26 PM, George Herbert <george.herb...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Ian Woollard <ian.wooll...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > The problem is that a good encyclopedia, such as the Wikipedia, tries
> > > to reflect reality and truth.
> > >
> > > But reality and truth... have a well known liberal bias.
> >
> > That's the second such reply, and it's a little disappointing.
> >
> > I want the encyclopedia to accurately and fairly represent things I
> > personally disagree with, as well as the ones I agree with.  The
> > assumption that some bias is ok because "we're right" ... is Wrong.
> > It's a fundamental failure of NPOV.
> >

> "Reality has a liberal bias" doesn't mean that liberals are right. Rather,
> it means that any attempt to represent reality will, in the eyes of
> American
> conservatives, amount to displaying a liberal bias.

Indeed. It's a line from Colbert's speech to Bush at the White
House Correspondents Dinner playing up the 'you're either with us or against
us' crock that was being peddled around. Reality is nuanced, but admitting
that nuance, however slight, means you hate America and are a sworn enemy to
our friends from the American Taliban who are out there either fighting for
dinosaurs to be acknowledged and honored for giving their lives in Noah's
Flood or protecting you from gay people getting a marriage license
somewhere.