On 4 December 2011 16:58, Charles Matthews
<charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On 4 December 2011 03:56, Tony Sidaway <tonysida...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://daggle.com/closed-unfriendly-world-wikipedia-2853
>>
>> Now whatever the merits of his case, this chap does have a point about
>> the unfriendliness of the environment.
>

> Well covered in The Signpost, in fact.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. That's very good coverage.

> But I came away thinking that there
> is a misconception behind the "complaint". Put it this way: who is the
> customer? That turns out to be a rhetorical question: the customer is the
> reader. If the customer was the writer, or the person who feels he/she
> should have a Wikipedia page about them, the tone of the complaint would be
> more justified.

The wiki model of content production makes no distinction between
reader and editor.

>> It isn't so much that we've
>> gone out of our way to be unfriendly, but the tool we use to
>> interact--the wiki, in other words--isn't really very fit for the
>> purpose.
>>

> Considering that Wikipedia is the "killer app" for wikis, the comment seems
> a bit off-beam. What we have done is to stress-test the wiki concept by
> making a wiki at least two orders of magnitude larger than would have been
> been thought reasonable in the year 2000.

I think you're missing my point that the processes we're running on
the wiki--not the content--are what the tool is unsuitable for.