Its also the case that even our complex systems are not easy to navigate and
that the wiki system can be very confusing for new users beyond just the
complexity of our bureaucracy. In the example that sparked this conversation,
the new editor struggled to understand the difference between deletion review
and requests for undulation. There are good reasons for both these pages - but
even their staunchest defenders would have to concede that these pages are
hardly a model of clarity and design. We could probably help the situation a
lot by putting in some effort to improve the user experience of our bureaucracy
and thinking about how each "wikipedia" page appears to new editors and
attempting to make them simpler to grasp - without changing any of our
underlying policies.

--
Alasdair