On Dec 11, 2011 10:03 PM, "Daniel R. Tobias" <d...@tobias.name> wrote:

> While the design and user interface of Wikipedia certainly has things
> that could stand improvement, I generally like the fact that it's not
> run by a "billion dollar budget" commercial outfit brimming with
> meddlesome marketing and management types and artsy graphical
> designers, aimed at producing a site design that looks cool when
> demoed in PowerPoint presentations, shoves lots of annoying,
> intrusive ads at the user and is explicitly designed and structured
> to maximize this even at the expense of actual content, and works
> well (if at all) only in the particular browsers and platforms
> targeted by the developer.
>
> Those sites are hard to navigate, hard to read, slow to load, prone
> to crashing your browser, go out of their way to interfere with
> normal browser operations like caching and back/forward buttons by
> having crazy contraptions of scripts to reinvent those wheels in an
> inferior way, and are generally a headache to use in comparison with
> Wikipedia.

This. A hundred times, this.

Compare Quora and Wikipedia: I have reached the unenviable situation of
having the rich-text editor lag while typing on my laptop (with 2Gb RAM and
a 2.2GHz dual core CPU).

It is 2011: beyond "flashiness", I have no idea why a webapp performs worse
than the first version of Word I used back on my 386. But at least the user
experience doesn't scare people by introducing the minimal costs of
actually having to use one's brain, right?