> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:12:49 -0400
> From: Marc Riddell <michaeldavi...@comcast.net>
>  Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] VIP Treatment
>

> >> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:07:03 -0600 (MDT)
> >> From: "Fred Bauder" <fredb...@fairpoint.net>
> >> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] VIP Treatment

> trying

> >> Because they are decent capable people, take pride in doing a good job,
> >> and are concerned about the accuracy and reputation of Wikipedia.
> >>
> >> Fred
> >>
> on 9/12/12 2:58 PM, Matthew Jacobs at sxeptoman...@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> > Oh really? So why do we have to desysop admins? Were they "misusing their
> > tools" in a "decent capable" way? Was it part of "doing a good job"? Were
> > they desysopped for being "concerned about the accuracy and reputation of
> > Wikipedia"?
> >
> > I can understand if you think I'm overstating the problem, but I find it
> > ridiculous that you would deny the obvious: some people are drawn to
> > adminship for the wrong reasons, and some maybe even for the right
> reasons,
> > but choose to act on them in a short-sighted way. No RFA process, no
> matter
> > how good, will ever be able to fully weed out people who really shouldn't
> > be admins. The problem is, WP has no mechanism for dealing with those who
> > turn out to not exemplify what an administrator should be, but stop short
> > of actually breaking rules.
> >
> > Sxeptomaniac
>
> Agreed. But how could such a mechanism be created given the existing
> structure of the Project?
>
> marc Riddell
>
> I've seen a lot of complicated RfA proposals, as well as community desysop
procedures, and I really think the simplest solution would be for Adminship
to no longer be a lifetime appointment. Make it for terms of one or two
years, with no limit on the number of terms, and no requirement to
re-apply. It simply means that admins remain accountable to the community,
giving them an incentive to remain polite and fair, to the best of their
ability. I don't buy the arguments that "good admins will never be
re-appointed", as good admins may make a few enemies, but they'll gain even
more supporters. I also believe that the community could easily adapt to
manage the increase in RfAs.

To be clear, there is no perfect solution, but I think that instituting
admin terms would be a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, I also
don't think the community will ever accept such a major change, as it's
become far to conservative regarding policy.

Sxeptomaniac